Flipkey - 3% rip-off just to get paid!!! EXTREMELY DISHONEST AND LAZY PEOPLE!!

I rented my personal home outside Toronto via Flipkey. They charge approx 13% commission in my case which is fine. They accepted my booking in Canadian Dollars. They accepted payment from two nice clients in Canadian Dollars. I rented for 5 weeks approx at C$1,500/week.

They did NOT state up front they will take an additional 3% commission just as a check-clearing fee. YES!!! That's what it is, they charge 3% for a zero-risk (to them) transaction.

They have MY money in their bank well in advance. They will not give it to me, I offered my bank account info, or they could mail me a paper cheque. JUST LIKE ANY BUSINESS. You and I pay our bills online every day, it costs zero.

OH, YOU'RE IN CANADA!!! Well up yours Canadians. We hate you, and we at Flipkey are too lazy to set up a free bank account in Canada. (OK, maybe $15/month, not quite free.) Laziness. Bad management. Bottom line: theft of 3% undisclosed in advance, from the very people who trust you enough to do thousands of dollars in business with you.

Whew, waaaay low. My strongest recommendation: Stay away from such people. BTW I used to own the largest Mac computer dealership in Canada, some $100 million a year back in 1995. I know all about paying suppliers (in this case, home owners are their suppliers). You see you just PAY them, write a cheque, or write transfer. No brainer. Millions and millions of times a day, no 3% rip-off!

Oh, yes and that's after a couple days of phone calls to the India call centre in which they verified all my details etc etc ... suddenly once everything is verified ... oops, Canada ... too bad, so sad, we do not like Canadians at Flipkey.

Way ta go Flipkey and all associated companies including TripAdvisor (for whom I wrote a few reviews, never again.)

You know the old expression.- "Rip me off once, shame on you. Rip me off twice, shame on me!"

PS: OH, NICE COINCIDENCE, THEIR WEBSITE DOES NOT ACCEPT ATTEMPTS TO CONTACT THEM ON THEIR ONLINE CONTACT FORM. IT SIMPLY DOES NOT SEND!!! Not in Safari, not in Firefox. Tried to reach them for a full hour. NO EMAIL ADDRESSES. NO CONTACT IS POSSIBLE IF YOU ARE OVERSEAS (I'm travelling 2 months which is why my home is rented, big time zone diffs.)

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

• What I liked
      No items
  • What I disliked
    • Stealing three percent of payment
    • Poor responses from help
    • Censorship of mail
    • Inconsistencies on web site
    • Long wait time on phone

Reason of review:
House Rental
Review category
Real Estate
review #644626 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Flipkey? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Post a comment to start a discussion.

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.