Update added by user Dec 19, 2015
Update: spending hours on the phone with FlipKey has convinced me just how bad of a company they are.I've spoken with one agent multiple times who was completely useless and would say how understanding he was out one side of his mouth while again quoting the policy out the other side.
What's nice is that they will very rarely hang up on you unless you curse at them, so most of the time, I managed to get them to at least call the owner and tell him to work with me after they quoted their policy at me again.
Last night I spent an hour on the phone with them and they called the owner, who reiterated to them that he would offer me one night's refund, to which I replied I would accept no less than the two nights we were not in the unit.
I did not demand a full refund, simply the two nights we did not spend there.
After FlipKey again told me that I should have called within 24-hours of the first night of our stay (made impossible since the owner did not change our check-in day on FlipKey's booking) I had had enough and posted this negative review on their website.
As of this morning, 12/19/2015, the owner has sent me an eCheck for the two nights I have requested.Once it clears, I will update this posting as resolved.
Original review posted by user Dec 17, 2015
Booked a 4-night stay in Daytona Beach. Owner accepted, and then a week beforehand contacts us saying he has overbooked his property and that we can either cancel or stay three nights.
We agree to three nights as we can just get another night in Atlanta on the way down. He never offers a refund, I didn't get one until I pressed the issue.
We get to the unit and soon wonder how it was "overbooked" - it's awful. The bed is at least 25 years old, saggy and awful. All surfaces have a layer of grime on them. Floor is dirty, curtains are dirty, fixtures are loose, ceiling fan is saggy and has obviously soaked up enough salt water that it has been there for ages and never serviced.
Reading FlipKey's service policy, it becomes clear what happened: the owner is ensuring he gets paid by skirting the "Peace of Mind Guarantee" that says that bookings must have complaints reported within the first 24 hours of check-in. We didn't even have a chance because he never changed our booking date with FlipKey.
Customer service is a joke; disorganized, foreign, and they simply quote their policies over and over at you regardless of case history and has no idea what you're talking about most of the time. I called and finally got through to someone sympathetic sounding and he then told me to submit a (ridiculous) claim form and pictures and that they would deactivate this person's listings (hasn't happened) and try to refund my money (also hasn't happened). I realize this was cheap - I had a wedding in FL to attend and we are low on funds this time of year. We had used a condo like this in the past and had a great time, on a great property. This was a terrible experience.
This ruined our vacation and I am furious every time I have to deal with FlipKey. NEVER BOOK WITH THEM.
More Review Details
- Reason of review:
- Poor customer service
- Preferred solution:
- Full refund
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Daytona Beach Hawaiian Inn
- Review category
- Hotels and Resorts
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "My wife and I booked a room through hotels.com at a Sterling Resorts Splash in Florida — 17698 Front Beach Rd, Panama City Beach, FL 32413. When we arrived..."
- "I advertise 2 properties on Flipkey site. Firstly I'd briefly like to agree with several of the previous reviewers that communication from "Flipkey help" (if you can find out how to..."
- "This is an update to the complaint against Panther Knob Cottage Rental, owner Susan Bates As of this date January 13, 2015 nothing has been resolved!! But this is business..."
- "Hidious Service! Paid for my order to be priorty shipped & arrive before Christmas! Just received the item a week ago. Good Luck getting a live person on the phone...."
- "I ordered 3 items. I received the coffe cup fairly quickly, and the dog trainer bracelet approximately a week later. My 3rd item was a pair of black leggings with..."
- "Different people twice tried to send me funds via ClearXChange. Each time, I was asked to register, and then the link said my CapitalOne bank was a partner, and then..."
- "KraftMaid APC "All Plywood Construction" is a true misnomer. The backs of the cabinets are made from a combination of strips of plywood (for wall attachment) and a sheet of..."
- "I have bought gear from OSOE for about 4 years now. I place an order online and wait. Some times I wait a week sometimes I wait a few months..."
- "Ordered in a Sears Freezer. Had to pay an independent to deliver because our Sears doesn't bother. Used person they recommended. When it got here and before it was totally..."